Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Feeling a little sick

I really would like this post to be positive and cheerful, full of the many ways that life in Namibia is wonderful. And actually life here is wonderful, i'm just getting used to it. But this week has been hard so far because both Sinead and I have been feeling sick. We've both been suffering from what Namibians call "Runny Stomach"- a nicely evocative but still euphemistic term- I'll spare you a more detailed description. Lets just say I am not appreciating having an outhouse right now.

However, if this is the worst illness we experience this year (which I'm sure it won't be) we would be incredibly fortunate. I've been surprised at how few mosquitos I've seen so far here, and I think this is making me a little lax about malaria precautions. I'm still taking my prophylactics and sleeping with a net most nights, but I hardly ever put on bug spray, and I've been much less worried about walking around at night when the anopheles mosquitos are most active. Its just hard to constantly vigilant about a disease that doesn't seem to be a big risk, though I have heard about a few recent cases at other schools. I really can't wait for the winter, when it will both be cool and I won't have to worry about getting horribly ill from a mosquito bite.

1 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger SinĂ©ad said...

hey huney, i don't want people to think that i was mislabelling my food poisoning as "runny tummy", so let me clarify - i now have the lovely "runny tummy" after having had the lovely "throwing up after eating something bad" food poisoning!
- Sinead

 

Post a Comment

<< Home