Saturday, February 11, 2006

Cloudy evening with a big baobab tree- unfortunately it hasn't been like this (cloudy and cool) for about a week, instead its been beautiful blue skies and intense heat.
The Namibian expressway (this is much better than the cows who stand on the road taking up parts of both lanes until you honk at them.)

Kids taking a swim in Odibo- it looks really nice, but all of us volunteers are terrified of bilharzia (snails that attack your reproductive system, very nasty)

AAAAHHH- how sweet. A nice moment at my flat.
Group photo from last week in Odibo- from left to right Loren, Narelle, Laura, Inbal, and me.


So its the weekend, I'm starting to feel better, and life is good (if only it would rain). Sinead and I decided to take it easy this weekend, no big trips, though we still had to come to Oshakati to get food and of course put photos on our blogs. Other than that though its been hanging out at my flat, taking walks and talking to neighbors (in our limited but growing Oshindonga vocabulary), looking at the stars, and cooking nice but simple meals (we are both still feeling a little sensitive). Hopefully this week will be much better for both of us, especially Sinead, who definitely had the worst of the runny tummy as well as food poisoning- she is a real trooper. This week I will be starting computer classes (I hope), which will take up more of my free time, but it will be interesting to see if I can teach the learners some valuable stuff. Unfortunately since there are so few computers the principal decided to have only the 4 best learners in each class take the classes- it seems kind of unfair, but I guess they have to choose between them somehow. I'm hoping to switch who is in the classes after the first term. I'm not sure where to start- I guess with turning on the computer and using the mouse. Beyond that it would be great if they could learn to type, but I know it would be more interesting to start doing stuff with the internet. If anyone has any ideas leave a comment or send an e-mail.

Other than that not much news here- I think once we really start feeling better we will be much more settled and happier living here. I think we are slowly making progress getting to know the teachers at our schools. I've been giving them rides on the way to town, and its nice to get a chance to talk to them outside of school- unfortunately they all live in town while I live 14 km away at school, so its hard to see anyone on the weekends, especially at night. Plus, I think a lot of them go to visit their families in various villages on the weekends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home