Saturday, April 01, 2006

Exam Madness

The first term is really coming to an end, and next week we will be having our exams. This is leading to craziness in the staff room because the test schedule was only announced on the Friday before the tests were to begin. Our school has recently acquired a photocopier, but everyone is worried that if it is used too much it will break, so copying tests is strictly off limits. Instead we use a duplication machine, which you use by preparing a stencil (kind of like a carbon copy sheet) and then roll it on this big ink drum. After that you roll papers through and it makes copies. It's actually pretty cool, but you can't do pictures or anything unless you draw it by hand. Also, you either have to write everything out by hand or type it using a typewriter onto the stencil- which makes test preparation really time consuming, especially in English where there is a need for long passages.

Then there is the problem that there is only one typewriter, and everyone here types very slowly. So everyone has been rushing around trying to make sure their tests get ready and it has been generally much more chaotic than usual. Yesterday my principal asked me to type his test, which I resent a little, but at the end of the day it doesn't take me so long, and hopefully he'll return the favor some time.

Another interesting aspect of school here (a diplomatic way to put it) is the meetings. I recently heard on the radio that the two biggest problems in Namibia are making ends meet and making meetings end- I guess that's a common joke, but it seem particularly accurate here. Staff meetings from 2 to 5, where only a couple issues are discussed, are a common occurrence. The major stumbling block to efficient meetings is that the principal really wants to get everyone involved, but no one wants to participate, so after he says anything he waits a long time for feedback. The most contentious issue by far has been the use of the photocopier- the official policy has been somewhat paradoxical, since the principal and head of department are encouraging teachers to use it, but every time someone asks for copies they are told they are making too many. Also the principal and the head of department are the only people allowed to use the copier, presumably because it is too complicated unless you take a training course. Just so anyone doesn't get the wrong impression, both the principal and HOD are great guys- its the way of doing things here that bugs me sometimes, not the people themselves.

Last weekend we had another long weekend, this time with parents and in Oshiwambo. I was looking forward to a long meeting where I didn't understand a word. It was still long but the HOD was really nice and translated everything for me. The meeting was held in a kind of concrete barn, and midway through the meeting it started raining really hard on the tin roof, making it impossible to hear anyone. The parents approved the schools budget (a nice idea, though I don't think they really do much oversight) but the major topic of discussion was about learners going to cuca shops (a local term for bars). Apparently many learners sneak out at night and get drunk, and then have hangovers at school the next day. Also, when they sell fish it is so they can get money to buy beer. Everyone at the meeting was instructed to chase learners out of cuca shops if they see them there, even if the learners insult them, which also seems to be a big problem. I did see some learners watching a soccer game at a cuca shop a few weeks ago, and now I wished I had said something to them. At the same time though, its understandable for them to go there if it is the only place in the village with a TV. It would be great if they could start some kind of community center here, but for now that is wishful thinking.

Meanwhile my water has been off for about three straight weeks now. Twice now it has come back on briefly, I breath a sigh of relief, and then six hours later it is off again. It isn't so bad getting my water from the school tap until I think I'll have running water again, and then I get a little upset when my hopes are dashed. At this point I think it won't matter so much if it isn't fixed by the end of the term, but I really hope when I get back the water is more consistent. The biggest problem is that it is hard to wash myself and really hard to wash my clothes with limited water, so I'm getting smellier by the minute (thankfully I can shower at Sinead's place twice a week)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home