Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Wild Weather

I have been very attuned to the weather since I have been here- I think it is because whether it is hot or cool makes a huge difference in how I feel, and since there is really no weather forecast I am always watching to see if the weather is changing. Tonight there is a huge front of dark storm clouds approaching my little house- it is very impressive and a little intimidating Right now Sinead is away at a three day workshop, and I am without a car, and more than ever I am feeling like I am alone in the middle of nowhere Africa. Earlier this afternoon I went to the nearby "village" to get a drink, but even there there was hardly anyone around. It seems like everyone here justs works really hard and has little time for anything else. So it really feels like its just me out in the middle of the bush (though of course there are actually a lot of people around on their farms). Its actually kind of a nice feeling, especially when I can have a beer and watch the rain come down from my doorstep, but it also makes me appreciate having Sinead here and realize how hard this would be if I was really on my own (or if I didn't have a car).

1 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Blogger Ted said...

you're lucky to at least have that wonderful feeling of being alone with the beautiful world. That is rare, even when fully isolated like we are. For me, the 1700 person town obliterates the feeling of that kind of nice aloneness even though I never see people except at work! I guess if I drive out a few minutes and sit in a field I can achieve something like that. Although I have to get far enough from the other cars on the road, which is a challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home