Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Positive Post

That's right, no more negativity on this blog. Sinead and I are both feeling much better, and the weather is cool to boot. Actually, a lot of people said that the hot weather was responsible for our sickness, which I doubt, but it might have played a part. One of the nun's at Sinead's school told me this is an extreme climate, which I thought was surprising since I figured southern India, where she is from, would be pretty hot too, but I guess Kerala actually has a very mild climate. Now though it has been cloudy and cooler (high 80's) for the past few days and this has helped my spirits soar.

This past weekend was the most relaxing yet. Sinead and I spent most of our time out here at Oluvango, which is very quiet on the weekends. We hardly saw anyone at all, except on Sunday afternoon, when we met and talked to a large group of people heading home from church. We had thought about going, but if people go at 10 AM and leave at 3 PM I'm not sure I'm up for it. We'll see. It was really nice to just hang out and not drive a lot (though we did quickly go to Oshakati for groceries and a car wash), and go for long walks at sunset around the area, which despite its flatness is really pretty. I don't think we've walked as far as Angola yet, but its hard to know since it is so close and the border is not well marked.

This week teaching has seemed much easier. I am getting to know my students, and I am more relaxed when lessons don't go exactly as planned. I can't be sure they are learning any more from me, but at least I'm not wearing myself out as much. That is until my computer class, which I have definitely not figured out how to run effectively. It is a constant barrage of students demanding my attention, and all of them are at different levels. Some can't use the mouse, and others are looking up photos of Beyonce on Google within two minutes of arriving. So I'm not sure how to have cohesive class, but since its only been two days I'm hopeful I'll figure something out.

2 Comments:

At 4:57 AM, Blogger Ted said...

hey Pete,

Teaching is funny because you feel so responsible for how your students respond and yet sometimes they just won't behave. I learned in this one class I have that unless I act like a complete fool and make them laugh, they'll pretty much just be little bastards and not learn anything.

But I have a feeling that your job there is a lot different than mine here. For instance, this morning I spent two hours just having these one and two year olds sit on my lap and give me high fives. Then I did teach the alphabet for 20 minutes or so as well. Don't be too jealous; sometimes it's nice to have a challenge.

p.s. what do the snails really do? Can they really be so heartless?

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger adam said...

hey man,
I haven't checked your blog for a while. Sounds like you guys are having quite an experience! It's good to hear that you are growing more comfortable with things, although I am sorry to hear that you are lonely at night - not quite like freshman year of college (although at least there is no one waking you up in the middle of the night now). Anyways, keep drinking the millipede beer and watch out for those snails!
Adam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home